Friday, January 24, 2014

The Kite Runner

List of recommended books
10. Kite Runner


-"For you a thousand times over"

When I first saw this book, I thought it was going to be about the culture in the country of the author. I thought it was going to talk about how they flew kites over there. And in one way, it did but it turned out to be a very different story from what I initially expected. I was surprised to see the depth in which the story of two characters created. The story of two boys, one a little luckier than the other, but same nonetheless in how they learn to live in an unsympathetic world of war and violence. It makes people wonder why good things happen to bad people and how much true friendship is worth at the end. It was for him, a thousand times over after all. Because of this, I stalked searched other works by the author which were equally good too.










1 comment:

  1. "For you, a thousand times over."

    This line made me shed tears as I was reading the book, and has been replaying in my head like a broken record until now. The issues of Afghanistan, its theme of brotherhood, and its concept of loyalty make this a definite must-read. I also heard that Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns" makes for a good sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete